Henry Melton has signed with the Dallas Cowboys. The deal is a for 1 year with a 3 year team option. The reason for this is probably due to the fact that Melton tore his ACL last year. If I understand it right, the Cowboys can decide after 1 year if they still want Melton on the team and if they do, then the 3 years would pay Melton some good money. The incentives for having a good first year of his contract basically would reward his with a big pay day for the next 3 years of his contract. Anyways, more importantly, Melton is out of the Seattle Seahawks radar. This could help get Jared Allen though. The Cowboys were also interested in Allen, but wouldn’t have enough money to sign both Melton and Allen. Go Hawks!
Well so far the Seahawks haven’t done a whole lot in free agency. They have re-signed Michael Bennett. The Seahawks have also signed WR Taylor Price, who hasn’t play in two year due to injuries.
The Seattle Seahawks have lost many veteran players that were big parts in the Super Bowl 48 win. This list includes, Golden Tate, Walter Thurmond and Clinton McDonald. They have also cut Chris Clemons, Red Bryant and Sidney Rice.
Despite these losses the Seahawks are in great shape for next season. John Schneider and Pete Carroll have a plan that will work out in the end.
Here are three of the players that are still on the market that the Seahawks have shown interest in. If the Seahawks can get all three of these players, then that would be spectacular.
Jermichael Finley, TE, Green Bay Packers:
The Seahawks had Finley in for a visit last week. It sounds like they are going to sign him, but need to wait for medical clearance first. Finley had spinal surgery this past year after suffering a near career ending injury. If signed by the Seahawks, he would provide a big red zone target for Russell Wilson. Zach Miller and Jermichael Finley would provide the Seahawks with a very good tight end duo.
Henry Melton, DT, Chicago Bears:
Melton visited the Seahawks on Saturday and sources said that on Saturday night they were in deep contract negations. He eventually left and went to his next visit which is in Dallas. They have a scheduled meeting on Monday. Dallas doesn’t have as much cap room as Seattle, so the Seahawks have the advantage in that area. Dallas is Henry Melton’s home town, so that might be appealing to him. Melton would replace Clinton McDonald and most likely be an upgrade. He was a pro bowl player in 2012, but tore his ACL last year.
Jared Allen, DE, Minnesota Vikings:
Jared Allen visited Seattle today, but was said to have gone back home without a contract. He is also scheduled to be meeting with Dallas this week. Seattle seems to be a perfect landing spot for Allen. If Jared Allen signed with Seattle, he would instantly be a fan favorite. Seattle has been interested in Allen since the trade deadline, when they were said to have inquired about Allen and were thinking about trading for him. Jared Allen would replace the loss of Chris Clemons and would probably end up being a bit of an upgrade.
1. Re-signing Michael Bennett was Huge. He even took a bit less money to play for the Seahawks, and one of the main reasons was the 12th Man.
2. It’s sad to see Golden Tate leave and play for a different team. He did so much for the Seahawks. But, the Seahawks can’t afford to pay Tate big money. Especially given the fact that the Seahawks are a run first team. If Percy Harvin can stay healthy, this loss should not be a problem next year.
3. If Sidney Rice re-signs, then I think the Seahawks are set at WR. I don’t think they would need to draft a WR. I think the WR’s will have some serious competition come Training Camp. Lots of depth.
4. Henry Melton (Rated the #2 Free Agent at the DT position) is visiting the Seahawks. This would be a huge addition for the defense. Vance Walker DT is also visiting the Seahawks. He started for the Raiders last year.
5. Jermichael Finley would help stretch the defense and would give Russell Wilson a receiving TE. It would be nice to be able to keep Miller. Might have to restructure Zach Miller’s contract for that to happen.
6. We could use a veteran DE to replace Chris Clemons. Maybe Jared Allen. But, don’t forget that Bruce Irvin could be playing a lot of the DE/LEO position.
7. O’Brien Schofield’s contract didn’t work out with the Giants because of a failed physical. It would be great if the Seahawks could bring him back. Good special teams player and can also rush the passer.
8. Re-signing Tavaris Jackson was big. One of the best backup QB’s in the league. If RW ever goes down, Jackson can step up and play without losing too much.
9. Watch for these 12 players to have breakout seasons for the Seahawks next year: Gregg Scruggs, Jordan Hill, Bruce Irvin, DeShawn Shead, Benson Mayowa, Christine Michael, James Carpenter, JR Sweezy, Ricardo Lockette, Taylor Price, Chris Mathews, Michael Bowie
10. Adam Schefter and Ian Rapoport know everything about the NFL and Free Agency.
11. It would be nice if we can sign Doug Baldwin long term.
12. In Pete and John we trust. They have a plan that will make sense in a few weeks. I think they will be able to sign a few players for good prices. Players want to play for Pete Carroll and will take a bit less money to get a great opportunity to get a SB ring. Watch for a DT, WR and possibly a DE to get signed in the next couple weeks.